Monday, April 23, 2007

Progress?

For a brief, shining, happy, tiny little moment tonight, I had a moment of clarity where I could remember the names, origins, and stylistic distinctions of all the groups in my doo-wop chapter. It lasted about five minutes, but it was wonderful.

I swear, I should make some flash cards or something.

(The Mills Brothers)
(The Inks Spots)
The Ravens (Baltimore)
The Orioles (Baltimore)
The Clovers (Baltimore)
The Dominoes (NYC)
The Cadillacs (NYC)
The Five Keys (NYC)
The Four Fellows (NYC)
The Moonglows (Kentucky-Cleveland)

Argh! My brain just exploded.
  • Incidentally, Gayle Wald's new biography of Sister Rosetta Tharpe is really great. Go buy it.
  • The Wikipedia entry on Sonny Til is really pathetic, but I don't have the energy to write a decent one.
  • You know what's a really weird song? The Orioles "Deacon Jones."
  • Despite a really bad talk I once saw on it, I can listen to the Drifters sing "This Magic Moment" over and over again.
  • I wonder if my committee would let me write my dissertation in bullet points.

1 comment:

Rebecca M said...

"I wonder if my committee would let me write my dissertation in bullet points."

Ha! Well, the way SOME committees "read" SOME dissertations, bullet points might be more efficient for everyone involved.